About The Rio Grande Council, Boy Scouts of America
The Rio Grande Council, Boy Scouts of America was founded in 1926. A group of volunteers traveled to Dallas to receive the charter that year. In November of 1926, the volunteers held the first meeting in La Feria, Texas to select its first Scout Executive.
The council covers five counties in South Texas; Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr, Willacy, and Zapata. Four of the counties border Mexico.
The total available youth population for the Rio Grande Council is 91% Hispanic according to the strategic and research service of the Boy Scouts of America.
The Council owns and operates Camp Perry, the oldest continuous Boy Scout camp in Texas. Camp Perry was founded in 1927. In addition, the council operates a leased camp at South Padre Island named Laguna Station.
The council had 1,270 registered volunteers in 2016.
The council served 3,589 registered youth in 2016, and led the Southern Region in new unit growth.
Over 2,700 Scouts have attained the rank of Eagle Scout since 1926.
The council is governed by a 37-member volunteer board of directors.
The staff consists of 5 professional staff and 3 support staff.
The Order of the Arrow Lodge will be awarded the highest regional award in the 13 southern states at the national meeting in May 2017.
For additional information visit our website www.riograndecouncil.